Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Quiet Part Out Loud

The world as we knew it 
stopped today 
as though after
always having turned right,
it now turns the other way.

Things that grew by light
now evolve in shadow.
The flowers have agreed
 to grow regardless, 
glad of our absence. 
From now on
the dogs will feed us
in lieu of our tricks
both bacchanal
and banal,
but for a bone
rather than sticks.

I take up painting stones
to pass the time away,
as clocks are no longer
in need of my service.
Left to our own devices,
we’re allowed to be right
only twice a day.

I should have known
my nightmares 
were in preparation
for emotions 
I never thought I’d feel.
I’m like a bird
caught in a room.
I keep flying
into the mirror
as if it’s space 
were real.

I should never have
taken my twin 
for granted
as now he’s 
up and foresaking me
and recanted
along with any pre-natural 
penchant for rhyme,
without me he’d hardly know 
what to do with his time.

They say we all have it
whether we know it or not.
Even if we don’t know we have it
we can still give it to others…a lot.
Maybe this is after all…
all from a bump on the head.
If hindsight is twenty twenty,
why couldn’t we have contracted
joy instead?

I recently read a piece
on the poet Keats.
It said he aspired
to what he called
negative capability.
When one is
capable of being
in uncertainties,
mysteries, doubts,
without any 
irritable reaching
after facts and reason;
perhaps this is, afterall,
that preeminent season.


Peter Valentyne
April 2020 in the time of Corona

No comments: