Sunday, April 5, 2020

Daze of
Radical Melancholy
(for Jim Kelly)

Sunday mornings are
for staring into space.
Days now feel
derived from the dreams
of an unreliable narrator.
Nights, less fatalistic.

An autistic friend
says that Tuesday’s full moon
should slow down
the death rate from the virus.
When I ask where he’d heard that,
he said “it was on the news”.
Maybe autism is
the new magical thinking.

These days
I can no longer attribute 
what I say or think 
as coming from
inside myself.
I'm letting the virus
change me.
I'm letting go
of my fear of being the fool.
Truth is, I only want to be true.

In my short play “STRAW”
a scarecrow pleads with a man
to trade places with him
because the very thought 
of a windswept field
makes him want to weep.
Like him I live with a memory 
of inaccessible beauty,
a holy thing
that cannot be erased.
Tormented by the things
I find beautiful,
I put on the ragged
hand-me-downs of fate.

This morning, the discovery of
 a tear stain on the mirror
has convinced me 
of the sadness 
of my own reflection,
regardless whether
they are mine or his.
Apart from our living
in identical rooms,
my life is still my own.

On Palm Sunday
the line to enter the local Walmart
was two blocks long at 7:15 AM.
Everyone wore face masks,
a winding haphazard caravan
of empty shopping carts,
the shoppers palms
anxiously clutching 
the chilly metal bars
as they wound past
the $9.95 flower pots
with their purple promise
of early Easter.

Even as the deaths
are now reported
only by the numbers
as if dying were
a grotesque calamity,
the less said the better,
I say death is beautiful
no matter how it arrives,
sacred like anything
one of a kind;
the one true thing
one can own.

And then you died
helping another neighbor
and my broken heart
sprouted the first
true crocus
of everlasting Spring.


Peter Valentyne
April 2020 in the time of Corona



No comments: