Sunday, August 18, 2019

Visitation
(for P.G.)

I think you could
single handedly
keep the world spinning
in its place.
So full of God
are you
that you contain 
every room
you enter.
The evidence of your love
is everywhere;
everything knows 
you are here.

This morning after
your visit,
I rose early
to find myself
crying on the couch,
a tremulous quiet
still held onto you,
as if the unadorned dawn
had memorized 
your plaintive perfume.

I sensed my own past 
was ahead of me
while the cat lay cleaning
her paws with perfect
self regard, her
quotidian gesture
my sole
anchor to the moment.
Already there were a dozen
things I longed to do.
The most mundane
chore was to be
enjoyed anew.
I could feel the morning 
breathing
as though the world itself
were taking a mutual breath.
Or was this God pulsating
in the eardrum of my soul?
Something, I will say,
momentous
 had occurred,
maybe even shifted.
I knew now
that just being alive
was reason enough for joy,
that there was infinite possibility
in the smallest, seemingly
most insignificant thing.
It was as if I’d been in pain
a very long time
and hadn’t even known it,
and then the pain lifted
and I was reminded what
the world was meant for;
everything required loving
and the privilege
was mine,
no, ours,
 to feel.


Peter Valentyne
August 18th, 2019

No comments: