Wednesday, August 21, 2019




Day for Night
in Marienbad

i
No shared past
has ever existed
save through a love
that defies the literal.
All else are but
painted shadows.
Inconsistent ones at that.
Obsession encompasses both
sun and moon
simultaneously. 
In Marienbad,
discrepancies co-exist
corridor by corridor
in gradations of glorious
black and white.
Here, it is
always
day for night.

Would that there be
a right way to navigate
as I am no tourist,
nor am I a guest.
In Marienbad, we are
either beyond time
or hopelessly beholden to it.
Don’t expect clear answers.
Instead, look for clues.
This is not a game
if we can never lose.

 What pleasure can be found
in incomprehension?
For instance, in Marienbad,
narration is likely to
take the shape
of incantation;
one's own artifice of memory.
We return to the same details
as to a wound 
that has metastasized
into an immaculate scar.
We are allowed
to witness
its steady manifestation,
like a rose exploding
in slow motion,
petal after petal,
corridor by corridor
of baroque emptiness,
an architecture of mind
in service of a wild heart.

Eerie tracking shots
reveal speechless stilted actors,
chess pieces with statuary faces,
lifeless tableau vivants
having fallen silent
in unison.
We are either
X or A
as we
wander these halls;
as if we were
the only two
people of significance
amongst extras in
someone else's dream.

ii
Sometimes in the night
I turn over in bed
and my body gives
off subtle sparks
in the dark
as though I were
dry kindling
or a bit of flint.
Would that they were
signal flares,
though there is
no such thing
as rescue.

In Marienbad,
unresolved desires
long to resolve.
Victims and perpetrators
have been known to
swap places
for a better chance
at understanding each other.
Discernment is deferred
until light of day.

We are our own
narrators,
disembodied voices
willing to take on every sin;
inner voices
that lead us on
through labyrinthian passages
of both construction
and destruction.
This place is for
getting to the bottom
of me, you, us.

On this night,
my first love
returns to accuse me
of destroying his life.
Knowing my way
around
will help me
negotiate release.
How else could I live
with what I know?
That is,
I, who am versed
in the Marienbadian
language.
I take the offering
of pear nectar
and slowly
return to the
other light
of day.

Peter Valentyne
August 21st, 2019


No comments: