Monday, May 13, 2019




Everything Was Beautiful

Let me start by saying
my breakdown included swans.
Arched white cobras on a January lake
where I spent a week with Father Knowles,
acting landlord of my anguish 
within the white walls of his rustic cottage
where I wept every afternoon to Mahler
staring out at water refusing to freeze
at the height of my inner spring
as my heart bloomed so violently
it broke the vase of my body,
registering love as a fissure
that then and always after would
equate tenderness with sorrow. 
At seventeen I was both lovesick boy
and ailing white orchid on a sill.

I remember everyday
the ache in my heart felt
like a sore throat in my chest.
So full of gratitude and love was I
that the vessel of my adopted body
sprouted it’s first hairs and became
an unreliable narrator; an acned protagonist 
of a past I would return to again and again
in middle age to mine its quarry
of lost gold and youth and beauty
blighted by my own unworthiness.
That year I swore I’d become a monk
as my heart had been made spiritual
in God’s furnace of emotional agony.
Sadness became my go to emotion
angling to feel loss before loss felt me,
to taste the same grief even when
I had found future happiness.

Was it Mahler who taught me 
that sadness was beauty
and those seven days spent
tracing another boy’s name 
in the white snow
with no way to find my way back
to or from him?
So ill with first love,
and never to be the same again
after challenging the vows
of the pederastic priest;
huckster of empathy 
vs 
a love that would last
as long as I lived.


Peter Valentyne
May 13th, 2019

No comments: