Sunday, May 12, 2019

Grown Men Asleep
in Broad Daylight

At night, sleep does 
my living for me;
a form of surrender 
that takes no strength.
But I’m restless
and long to be more 
than merely alive.
Sleep is a shadow
advertising itself everywhere.
Faux faces made of airwaves
beckon and lull 
all while
night seeps into day.

Take the conductor on the Q line
who fell asleep at the switch
derailing the 3 train cars
and injuring dozens
including a Chicano nun and 3
small children on their way
to Coney Island.
The papers said the conductor 
had 3 times the recommended dosage
of NyQuil in his system.
Or did something inside him
just want to jump the tracks?

Asleep in our chronic patterns
like constellated stars
too tired to twinkle,
only in the morning
are we certain of our actuality,
as the juxtaposition of lying
horizontally on a bed
is so fresh in the memory
in comparison 
to what it ought to mean 
to be vertical.

I stop in my tracks. 
Am I that anonymous student 
I saw in college coming home 
from the cinema
who in a somnambulist state
was found standing in the Quad
asleep on his feet?
As a full grown man,
being awake is a daily struggle;
consciousness,
my last curriculum.

Exhaustion is everywhere,
a smoggy human freeway.
Detached from our vehicles
(which now drive themselves)
we need only look for signs,
though I feel culpable 
for recognizing this
and useless to affect a remedy.
So I have to ask myself:
What if I can’t see my own 
unconscious manifestations?
Like not being able to smell
my own bad breath.
Don’t let me be blind
to my own wretchedness.
I beg the mirror
to give back my life.

A glass of wine 
each night 
becalms my nerves,
quenching my desire
to be one 
with the moment,
even if I have 
to trick myself
into believing 
there’s nothing 
at stake.
I’m old enough not to care 
about stepping away 
from my ambitions.
I don’t want to be
driven.
I want being
to be enough.
And so
I live
in the fervor of a
blind man’s prayer.

I ask you.
What will happen
if we find 
ourselves disgusted 
by the whole 
human race?
What if our brother
really was our business
all along,
and transcendence 
the only sign
of having lived 
a good life?


Peter Valentyne
May 12th, 2019



From "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"


No comments: