Wednesday, April 10, 2019

painting by Neil Kaplan

Viktor

I keep my sun in the shadows
which is not the same as
hiding my light beneath a bushel.
I am content with being
in the cellar 
amongst the gnarly armed, 
malformed potatoes.
Darkness has it’s uses.
Beauty must begin somewhere.

My work is my poetry.
Though, my goal is
to make a man:
chore-loving, 
shorn of vanity,
kind for no reason,
a man
with an effortless
un-self-conscious 
demeanor.
A poem of a man.

What I couldn't 
have foreseen
was that
we would be 
forever synonymous;
twin pages
marred by words
in some 
mysterious way
for better or worse.

This is how it begins.
The world drives me
from itself
into a barren room
where I find no respite,
the morning’s 
colorless fog
assuring me
that nothing is
 more fertile than
a cloud full of rain,
but for myself
willing you to live.

Finding my state
no longer reflected in the sky,
I search for new signifiers.
Where are you in all this sunlight?
Are you where I find myself?
Or am I like you,
a rapturous fugitive,
a creature sewn together
with a spider’s thread,
the grafted visage
of my own youth's tender ideals
like the borrowed breath
of a broken heart
sworn to do no harm.

You
forever my great truth
begun in this
blessed blasphemy.


Peter Valentyne
April 10th, 2019


No comments: