Monday, April 15, 2019



I Make My Own Joy

I make my own joy
even as I know
it’s un-manufacturable.
Listen anyway;
joy is gratitude
independent 
of circumstance,
a key in the hand
of a mouth
in prayer,
a shielding frond,
a harvest
of pollen,
a sun shower,
a still thing
that inspires
more stillness.

I make my own joy
because night
can be so full
of betrayals,
hurts and incapacity.
Every morning with
my head full 
of temporary terrors
that never happened,
my dreams 
disregard the facts,
which means
it’s possible
for facts to forgo
their dreamer.
Such nights make 
even death ridiculous.

I make my own joy
because I rise
every morning
from my burial plot
to see my name
engraved on a decaying 
granite of days.
And so
my spirit resolves
it’s gloom via
a preposterous
graveside picnic.
From my blanket
I thumb my nose
at the dead.
Not me,
not yet!
I’m still
in bed!

I make my own joy
when and if
by chance
it’s taken away.
As failures fertilize
a flower bed,
and pollen 
draws down
the bees 
to keep
them fed,
and tears
do really make
the roses red,
so why can’t
sorrow be
an eco-system
instead?

I make my own joy
because I can’t leave 
a thing like joy
to chance.
If grace can make
a planet sustainable,
why wouldn’t I wish
to maintain
my own 
atmosphere?
Think of misery
and passion
as twin flames
and our candles
will grow younger
by wax and wane.

I make my own joy
because morning 
is for resurrection
and a ritual of basics:
watering plants,
clearing surfaces,
washing dishes.
A life of repetition
needn’t be tedious.
To be alive
is not predictable
and never obedient.
Even as I do 
the same chores,
mull the same miseries,
stroke the same cat,
I am never the same 
man twice.

I make my own joy
because the alternative
feels unimaginable.
I conceive my joys
like a God who never
dealt in facts
but only in faith.
Facts cut my feet
and my soul needs 
it’s nightmares:
grist as they are
for my spirit
to flower.
I, myself, 
an inquisitive bee
hovers over 
dung and daisies
in a single hour.

My spirit is a crocus
and every morning
an inexorable Easter.
I’m too emotional
to be exact.
Poetry is remembering,
with the feelings intact.

I make my own joy
because there is no certainty
in the staunchest of conclusions;
my soil is full
of soul stuff
towards a concious end.
Last night I dreamt 
I roamed a ruin
on an uninhabitable planet.
and woke up
as it’s hapless historian.

I make my own joy
because joy is an arrow
in a magician’s arsenal
and because only my heart 
can hold it’s quiver.
Joy is not a fact,
nor is night’s
trials of the soul.
Repetition can
bring the change
we seek
if we can learn
to see the angel 
in the compost heap.

I make my own joy
because joy does not
arise from experiences,
but attitude.
My faith is not in facts.
I have grown used
to being a poet 
in a literal world, 
so I see poems
as holy worm holes.

I make my own joy
like a snake
that swallows it’s tail,
meeting myself
as a friend
on a circular path
without an end.
One of us,
the poet,
holds up a mirror
to signal
from sun to moon
and neither of us
need really know 
who’s light is who’s.


Peter Valentyne
April 14th, 2019




No comments: