Sunday, March 10, 2019

W-A-T-E-R

We are at the well.
I am spelling myself out
to you in our
conjoined hands.
It’s simple,
but what’s veiled
resists vocabulary.

Our hands are wet,
damp with nouns;
ripe words made of juice.
I am urgency
jacking the pump
as if to fill a flat
convinced that
air and water
will bring us
both to life.

We are in the dream.
There is no 
mine or yours.
Finally, we are 
without possessions.
I pump the water
ferociously
through both our hands.
We make our clumsy cup
a holy vessel.

Dream water
sparkles in the sun
though it arises
from dark depths.
We are made of 
and for
each other.
This is where we 
marry the world,
reconnect our
thirst with the clouds
and begin
to wake.


Peter Valentyne
March 10th, 2019






Santorini

We met
at the top
of a
chalky white
tower.

Your lithe
tan body
full of
the life
ahead.

You tied
a bag
of black
umbrellas
to my bike.

I was
going to
have to
make the
next boat
as it
looked like
rain.

I followed
you 
into a
celebration
full of
vivid
colors.

We lay
down
on the
ground
to watch
something
small
crawl away.

Then
I
woke
to 
a morning
full of rain.


Peter Valentyne

March 10th, 2019




No comments: