Saturday, March 9, 2019

Use Me

Dying has enlivened me.
I live for rain.
When did I stop writing
about love?
After too much pain?

What I wanted
hurt others
because I refused
not to be the protagonist.
Until I did.
Now I’ve no longer any need
to tell my story.
I’m free.

My mornings are spent
trying to resemble the living.
My clothes barely conceal
my absence.
People mistake me 
for one of them.
I’ve no doubt
 a dead poet is
writing through me.

The cat knows,
but no one else.
Living is very distracting.
And love always
wants us to
kill ourselves.
I let it happen.

I am being used.
It’s okay
because everything
matters now.
I was willing to step aside
and let my tongue shrivel
up like an apple 
too loved by the sun.

I can relate.
After too much loving
I begged to be locked away.
Give me a rocking chair.
Let me 
cry to Mahler.
But I digress.

I have since
found employment,
the miracle so far behind me
that remembering is tricky,
if not mythological.
I can no longer keep it 
here.
It keeps me.


Peter Valentyne
March 1, 2019

No comments: