Tuesday, March 12, 2019




Theatre othe Deferred

In dreams
I am my own
understudy.
Every night
another
big break.

The truth is:
I'm being made
to play myself.
To go on
I must enter
through a trap
in the floor
that signals
my acquiescence.

My bed sheets,
the white flag
of my surrender,
a page without script.
Night is no writer
but it's theatre
built upon
a compost of dreams
produces nightly
artful improvisations. 

In this one
I play myself
at a crucial age
when everything
was still possible.
A rare memory play
in an age of forgetting.

As a producer
night is brazenly tyrannical.
He likes me helpless,
vulnerable,
off my game.
His concept:
always the avant garde.

The house lights dim
and the players join in.
The stage manager 
is feral,
clutching my diary
like a dog-eared bible.
Sexless, he (or she)
illuminates the stage
with a vanity mirror
that bounces light
off the moon.

Ragtag caterers arrive
like a band of bit players.
Out of the darkness
someone whispers "Places!"
and things go 
south from there.

The dead 
make their entrance 
without applause.
Someone I loved
has unfinished business.
Take note:
every prop an impromptu artifact.

Rousing to a lack
of occasion,
I look down at
my body in paralysis
lying discarded,
an obscene marionette;
my fate made fictitious 
by questionable facts.
I brace for a reckoning.

Asleep again, 
I live only in the past
an anti-body
unable to discern
what is happening 
and what is not.
How would you feel
being made to star
every night
in a black sky
of un-finished stories?

Tonight, I'm cast as the Garbo
of multi-duplicitous affairs.
My loneliness
used for so much mulch.
I am in turns
overwhelmed, frightened,
joyous, and enervated.

Tonight I'm given parents.
They enter stage left.
Has Beens desperate for a come back.
The woman playing my mother
I recognize from a commercial 
for Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance.
But she makes the scene work.
I'm in tears in no time.
My distress giving her something
to play off of.

Am I the only one
not acting in this sideshow?
How is one to act
when portraying yourself?
Are these dramas
messaging me from
inside
in order to aid me in
an acorn's individuation?
I am my own fodder.

Who’s version of night
turns me so inside out?
Every evening's production
is meant to undo
what makes me tick,
to force me open,
even while I'm
pinned like a starfish
to a plank,
my five senses
held in place
beneath a shriveling 
midnight sun.

Peter Valentyne
March 12th, 2019

No comments: