Thursday, March 4, 2021

 

The 

Hoarder 

Koan


You cannot solve me 

with your mind.

Nor have I 

any interest 

in being solved. 

My motto:

I will make everything mine.


I am ouroboros,

able to swallow

myself whole.

This is how

I keep my life

in place. 

I am Sphinx,

inscrutable God 

in perpetual hold.


I am koan.

You cannot fathom me.

Beneath and inside,

within and without;

my radius

is a burial ground 

for unearthed treasure.


I measure myself

by antiquities,

regardless of my trail

of unexceptional 

artifacts.

I need my sleep

to desire so much.

But I do

not sleep.

I am too hungry for

my next 

acquisition.


On the surface 

I appear as two orbs

but there is 

so much more 

to me.

I am both

above and below,

ascribing value

to everything

I see and touch.

My gaze

repeats a 

mother's promise:

I will watch

over you. 


I cocoon,

wrapping the world

in indiscriminate love

in order to

gently paralyze.

Quantum physics

tells me that

for every

anti-particle

there is a 

particle,

plus one. 

This imbalance is

ancient asymmetry

proving matter 

will outlast us.

So too

the elements,

stars, solar systems, 

planet Earth…

everything.


Now you know why

I must make 

the world

my own.



March 4th, 2021


1 comment:

W. Nixon said...

Peter, I just read your new poem. I love it. It is beautiful and very insightful. The mind, as we know, is powerful. One can’t help but wonder when and how did the hoarder’s way of thinking and being evolve? Was it always there but dormant and expressed in ways that fitted neatly within the norm and safely adhered to the social mores? If so, what triggered this shift in their expression of self, involving artifacts? This gets very psychologically intriguing with no clear cut road or pattern, since hoarding apparently has no barriers in regards to demographics, psychographics, financial status and intelligence levels. With that said, it could be disconcerting to acknowledge that the hoarder’s way of thinking and living could conceivably happen to anyone at anytime with no planned warnings, since the root cause is not definitive. In any event, it appears that once one has entered this world of obsessive, compulsive thinking and behaviors involving artifacts from a wide spectrum within no preconceived realm, which is so vividly described in your poem, the hoarder’s logic has no boundaries, akin to that of any true addiction. Thus, the hoarder’s logic actually begins to make sense. Albeit the clutter and debris, the effects, what the hoarder seeks and feels, are beauty, comfort, love, security and belonging. When you think about it, deep down, isn’t that what we all want from life? With your opening the door, we were able to take a glimpse into the hoarder’s inner and most private world. Looking in, one can’t help but see and feel the ever present intricate, complex, sensitive and psychological struggle which has become their norm. The effects of hoarding are not necessarily beautiful or pleasant in most people’s eyes, but, the cause, what the hoarder wants to accomplish has a term of endearment attached to it. Even if one does not condone or fully understand hoarding, after reading your poem, one is reminded that hoarders are still human beings and deserve the same love and respect that is openly and willingly given to others, even if their complex worlds are never fully understood, accepted or altered in any way. If, however, intervention is necessitated resulting from health and safety realities for the hoarder and quite possibly those around them, how is this accomplished in a humane, dignified and sensitive manner, since what the hoarder sees and feels is widely polarized in conjunction to what the outsider sees and feels. A true juxtaposition if ever there was one. Thus, having some understanding and insight into this complex world of the hoarder is key, which your eye opening and heart opening poem so aptly provides. Again, Peter, another beautiful poem focusing on another aspect of the human experience, which hopefully in turn, will muster more love, understanding and compassion for others, like and unlike ourselves. When it is all said and done, we are one within this vast universe and making a concerted effort to understand each other and live together in love and peace should always be actively and aggressively in the forefront of our existence. Bravo! ✍️👏