Monday, June 29, 2020




Gently Down the Dream
~for Robert H.

That morning I found myself
in my furniture’s way.
A fear of constellation
had gotten the better
of me, that and the call
from the social worker
telling me I’d better
come soon, so I set out
to make an otherwise
ordinary day 
my pilgrimage
to you.

That’s why I strapped 
an unfinished poem
to my chest
and headed north,
my heart veiled by
a preparatory web
of preyed upon words
no sheet of paper
was ready to hold.

Now that the hospice
allowed visitors 
I boarded the number 11
up to the rehab
only to find it
diminished in sheer style
by the abrupt magnificence
of a cathedral
ark-like
opposite it;
something breath-taking 
on an otherwise
humdrum avenue.

The hour threatened rain
and I felt content
to be umbrella-less.
I gladly welcomed
a torrent of tears
to sink into my 
weathered skin.

Inside the calm-colored walls
of Amsterdam House,
by the elevators
there was a picture
of a rowboat
abandoned on a shore,
it’s oars propped
sideways like
two flightless, if
beleaguered wings.

The doors slid 
unceremoniously open
and I entered
what felt like
a bright box
for arrousing
any and all visitor’s
trepidation. 
I pushed 7 
surprised to be
the sole occupant.
Symmetry shut
it’s doors
with an
indifferent sigh
causing my heart
to tremble 
inside my life vest.
I imagined myself
 already
on a ship
at the bottom
of the ocean
even while surfacing
to a faith-based promise 
of safety
in the sky.

Instead
the elevator opened
on the 7th floor
to a vacant,
rather pedestrian
hospital wing.
A delicate Asian woman 
was hovering 
over a pushcart stocked
with sterile items.
“Which way is room 112?”
I asked trying
to appear harmless
even as the poem 
ticked like a bomb
inside my chest.

She signaled me
to the last door
at the end of the hall
on the right
and I continued
forward as if
walking the plank
dreading
the inevitability
of my own splash.

Please know me
I thought to
myself
as I entered
the room
at the end
of another
man’s life.

You lay flat
but perpendicular
like a holy mural,
horizontal
and vertical
all at once.
Your body
a slip of a thing, 
the sole focus of
the vacant room,
composed as if
to prove 
every man
was destined
to die alone.
This tableau
is still
unforgettable
as it felt
infused with
the gentle peace
of dim light
intruding
from the window;
a Hopper
crossed with
a Magritte.

The room spoke
the language
of stillness,
 broken only by
the gentle 
determination
of your
tenacious
inner bellows,
as if life
were all
your body 
knew how
to do.
Your breathing
washing away 
it’s prints as
on a distant beach,
each exhalation
leaving no 
trace of
all your dreaming.

Standing at the foot
of your bed
I was awed
by the tenacity of
what appeared
a corpse
breathing
through
the shape of
a scream.
The white sheet
which hid your
wasted limbs
like birch branches
riddled with scars
for eyes.

You who had attended 
Yale Drama School.
You who had garnered raves
for your performances in The Times.
You who could be found
on a rowing machine
down at the Health Club
every morning at 9:00.
You who’s catheter put an end
to your swimming but
who’d show up
just to watch others 
enjoying the water.
You who had said
again and again
“I don’t belong in this world”.
You who spent entire days
alone in your well kemp studio,
who loved nothing more
than to be visited
by absolutely anyone.
You who leaned into a walker
like nobodies business.
What was this final stasis
meant to impart?

God, I thank you
for letting it be me
to sit at the foot
of your bed
even if
I drown in 
a sea of tears,
my body
an unlikely
but willing
 vessel
to hold
us both.

This is why 
I am here.
To assure you
your dream of life
was real
and to
insist that
the last words 
you hear
will be 
“I love you”.


Peter Valentyne

June 29th, 2020

No comments: