Thursday, June 25, 2020

Dispatches
from the Border
of Night and Day

This is where I always 
come to.
Just beyond the battle,
clutching my pillow
like an empty automatic
dissolving in my hands
as my drama
becomes
its gradual farce.
A scattering of stand-ins
make for the hills
as again I am
deserted and
left for dead.
Except I’m not dead
because I always
manage to crawl out,
if only
half alive.

So rather than be drafted
I learned to enlist.

Sometimes I fall in love
not knowing that at dawn
I will never see you again. 
Next life? But
a next life never comes.
Only the shadows
of those I thought 
were real.

What if we could live
without this rift
between us? 
Or at least I try
and imagine so.
Until none of it 
is or will ever
be true again.
I keep telling myself
the sun comes up
as the moon goes down.
But that isn’t right
because for a time
 both occupy
the same sky
like familiar strangers.
That makes more sense.
I need more light.

Again and again
I wake up
 dying
or am I
falling asleep
in order for 
another
to live?
Either way
we are twins
destined to
slowly forget
each other.

For instance, 
I forget I live
in a tower
and not the room
of a crying child.
Once I played
with soldiers
in a sandbox.
Now I’m digging
a trench on a beach
to bury his memory.
Its the only way
I know how to grow.

Even the stars 
pinprick my thin skin.
In the same way
mirrors never
make me feel
less alone.
Why don’t they?

But night has its uses
and so does sleep.
Every night I ask myself
who has passed down
this story of surrender?
And why is the protagonist
always killed off 
in mid-stream
like a thief
smuggling rations
to the front? 
Every night is a war
no one ever makes it out alive.
Or do they?

Now, here at the border
between night and day,
I am a twin separated
by the birth of
the other.
This poem,
my last letter
from the front.


Peter Valentyne
June 25th, 2020




No comments: