Tuesday, March 17, 2020





Love in the Time of Corona

I woke up at 4:00 AM 
determined to make something. 
I got up because I had 
to give art it’s chance to heal. 
Though nothing I do is uncreative, 
it feels as though I am 
married to the world 
solely to love and be loved. 
Yet the world lies asleep in its bed. 
Or so it seems.

How do we go about our days 
sans business as usual? 
My habits feel like shadows 
without a source of light. 
And so I vow to change my ways. 
I am looking into how 
to make a flower from scratch. 
I am my own bit of earth. 

Must everything have a wretched fate? 
The artist always says no. 
I don’t want to get up, 
I want to rise.
 Am I interesting enough to be spared? 
I want to be worth living.  

I began this odyssey 
with a bout of spring cleaning...
unearthing several forgotten treasures. 
A photo of my mother 
as a pretty young girl. 
A nude self portrait in colored pencil. 
A blank unused journal.

My cat, keeps kneading the armchair 
as though desperate for milk. 
I too wish for milk from a chair. 
I’m struck by her dance 
in this strange trance state. 
What do I do like that? 
Where am I so unconscious and why? 
Familiarity breeds contempt, 
but I barely feel it. 

I want to wake up...
but in such a scary time. 
What a fine time to come to my senses! 
But I know waking will make a difference. 
Here in my home of carefully arranged junk
in hopes of becoming content and unafraid. 
My cat is my shepherd and I shall not want.

Our lives are without rules 
though full of laws, I think
this illness must mean something. 
But so far it is like a forest in a film, 
provocative even as it smells of nothing. 
The old ways no longer suffice. 
So now, every morning, 
I go in search of Easter 
to make my days worthwhile. 

Why then do I feel 
locked inside an unnatural history museum? 
I want to make a stunning new thing 
and call it “Today”. 
But first I have to reckon, 
no grapple, with the old ways as
they no longer work in the here and now. 
The usual balms have lost their salt. 
Is this room nothing more than a body 
held together by standing so still?
I want to trade in my television for a God. 
I want to go pagan in an unfurnished room 
where a potted plant
is a much needed nod to all that is wild.

I put the picture of my mother 
in a frame so she can’t desert me. 
The kitchen sink is a Walden’s pond 
I can barely make out my reflection in. 
So I start to write...
each line requiring an open heart surgery. 
My first and last hope is to recover. 

Can one get salt water from a tap? 
I must make something out of this nothing. 
A cake from homemade flour. 
I want to die by a river, not a faucet!  
I don’t want to get up...
I want to rise. 
I want an art that will 
save me with its urgency. 
And save us all as well.

Peter Valentyne
St. Patrick’s Day 2020


No comments: