Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Sex Life
of Flowers
That Bloom
Solely After
Dark

“There is nothing you can see
 that is not a flower; there is
 nothing you can think that isn’t the moon”
                                              ~Basho
i
Lost, without money,
night coming on,
I look for you
in the rain.
Finding my way 
to a hotel lobby,
there’s a call for me.
My heart quickens.
Could it really be you?
How would you find me?
How could anyone
know where I was?
I pick up the phone
surprised to hear
a pre-recorded message.
Heart stricken, tearful,
and damp thru and thru,
I re-cradle the receiver.
I ask a smiling woman 
with a dachshund 
on a leash,
“Are you an angel?”

ii
To dream
is to have
intercourse
with a flower.
It’s exacting;
an artful 
insemination,
a transfer 
of pollen
via the stamen
to the carpel,
an indelicate
fertilization
between
heart and mind.

Dreams
make 
us all
female.

I live 
half my life 
in a state
of abject
fecundity.
In this half-life
all things are 
possible.
Why take
such a thing
for granted?
Dreams 
with their
inside 
information,
both symptomatic 
and significant
cause me 
to ask
how
I can be
their only
vector?

ii
Each night
I experience
an involuntary
flowering
of my being, 
yet each 
resultant 
poem
is barely
an adverb
of emotion
in an 
amber
vase.
What better 
vehicle
for the illogical
when logic
threatens to 
make us ill?
So here I am
contemplating
the sex life
of flowers
that bloom
solely after
dark.

At night,
inside the
dream
we are
our own
light source.
It's here
I can
approach 
God
through 
the coitus
between
dark and 
day.

I am
my own
terrarium.

Why would
I settle
for a
hand-
me-
down 
God
merely
to lay 
my seeds
at the feet 
of a stone
sentence
whose nouns
are unknowable?
Instead,
I have 
cultivated a
first-hand 
knowledge
from the
botany
of a
broken 
heart. 

And so
I buzz 
about
in search
of sacred
pollen,
like a
church
busybody
syphoning
off 
gossip 
about
the gardener's
love life.
My prayers
know no
shame
nor are they
disbelieving,
as my mind
only knows
how to
bloom
and is
un-adept 
in any
other
courtship.

My dreams 
are incorruptible,
fanning out
from center
to circumference
like a wilder
version of
Lady Windermere’s
fan,
their delicate
fragrance
devised to 
encourage
only
random 
petals
of recall.

My dreams
occur 
un-beckoned;
a reckoning
from the
other side.
They sprout 
mysteriously,
uncontrived, 
mandala-like
patterns,
both holy 
and wholly
on their 
terms,
bearing gifts
extricated for
well being
like a compress
for drawing
toxins.

Because I 
am alive
and 
subject to shadows,
I meet
divinities
face to face 
behind the
sheltered
perimeter
of sleep's
veiled mirror.

Night is 
a soil
and
if God
is a planter
of dreams,
then
sleep is a
garden.

Who can say
which humus
is more real?
The one I 
build upon
by day,
or the one
that decomposes
by night,
floating
my fears
upward
like a 
lotus?


Peter Valentyne
May 2nd, 2019



No comments: