Sunday, April 21, 2019

Day for Night

We suffer from syndromes.
My own is all-encompassing.
It’s symptom is an artificial
boundary between
night and day:
day for night.
I live
in suspended animation;
I am
the belief in a dream,
an encrypted light in darkness.
I am a cinema.
Every night 
a triple feature.

I’m not joking.
I watch life unfold
in dream time
via dream logic
and I’m not
the only one.
My dreams have
taught me
we are all living
double lives;
both
dreamers and dreamt.
Did you know
that the first film screen
was inspired by
the surface
of the moon,
followed
(in close second)
by the proverbial
bed sheet?

Humanity is our sole art form,
whether one knows it or not.
I’m grateful I know it.
It allows a certain freedom.
To believe or not to believe.
I am a constant Hamlet
musing on not two
but one question
with twin answers.
Your life and mine
are conjoined.

I am Hitchcockian
because my mind
generates
round the clock
 suspense.
I am the thinking man’s McGuffin.
My death is dynamite
taped beneath the dinner table,
a bomb strapped to my chest.
I’m no explosives expert,
but it’s going to go off.
But who can tell me when?

To sleep
or to know you are asleep;
those are the choices.
I am grateful
I've been given this
one up on.
You can too.
Why not
do what I do?
Practice every night,
and at morning
weigh your illusions
against the stuff of dreams.
Be careful not to lose track
of which is which
or it's you
who'll be lost
in the mix.

There have been men
who lived life awake,
but they are few.
Jesus, Buddha, Edison,
the Lumiere brothers,
etc.

What I want
is a muscular life,
more than crepuscular,
a bodybuilder
of understanding,
even if what I understand
reveals my weakness.
Oh, but let me be strong.
The older I get
the less I know for certain.
Yet, my surrender is sound,
taught as it is
each night
by
rebounding starlight.

In fact, only the stars
know how this thing will end.
Spoiler alert: Castor and Pollux
aren't merely supporting players.
If anything,
they are the very subtext of night.
Only they know why
and they're not talking.
Can we ever fully know
why anyone does anything?
Any story proves that.
A single story is
nothing more than
an angular ray of light.
You never know
what’s being
left in the dark.
Not to mention
most of us 
aren't off or on script
(even when
making it up
as we go along.)

The great religions all say
we are asleep.
What would it mean to wake?
To live awake in a world
of sleepers
is my recurring nightmare.
To second guess every clock.
To love for the sake of loving
never sure of the integrity
of what you are placing 
your faith in. 

I am a cinema.
An evening’s shadowy noir.
I reflect on moon beams,
a life of countless projections 
and richocheting narratives.
I can only hope
mine might compliment your’s.
Sometimes light collides with light
bent on our 
mingling in the dust.

I dream for a living.
My strength is in surrender.
I keep my love alive
by knowing nothing
save this:
There is no film
to be found
in the camera of our consciousness,
 only a shimmering chimera.
We are holographic;
a single dream
containing
the whole world.


Peter Valentyne
April 21, 2019




No comments: