Thursday, January 17, 2019

I Like to Pretend I’m Dying

“We are here to find 
that dimension within ourselves
that is deeper than thought.”
                     ~Eckhart Tolle

The only thing I know
how to do is play.
I can probably out-play you. 
I’m exhausting. 
I don’t like saying good-bye.

I am always playing.
Its all I know how to do.
I’ll stay in the sandbox
long after you have to go.

I don’t mind playing alone.
It’s my saving grace.
If you come over
be prepared for
vivid recreations with army men,
maybe even finger painting.

I like to pretend I’m dying.
It started with reading “Love Story”
way too early. 
I like being sad.
I like to feel things
heightened by losing them
one by one.
I will make a perfect
old man.

I like faking accidents.
Just the thought of
falling down the stairs
for an entrance
makes me laugh.
I do that at parties.

When I was ten
my neighborhood turned on me.
I fell in love with everyone
with my whole body.
I couldn’t contain it.
Parents objected to my having
crushes on their children.
They knew I was different.
I didn’t feel real.
They watched me scream
out their windows.
I loved to cry
and play dead by the road.

To this day
I like to pretend I’m dying.
But I really want to be saved.
One of my favorite scenarios is
to almost die in a storm,
to fall down on the ground
in a raging rain
that nearly drowns out
my dying last words: “Help me,”.
I like it in snow too.

I love it when the elements
threaten my destruction.
There is nothing better than
a gale force wind.
I can work a wind
like nobody's business.

One summer I learned
how to cast spells
with a dead tree branch.
I could change myself
into things.
That’s how I survived.

To this day I am
always the first 
to spot the moon.
It gets me nowhere
but it can be endearing.

When I was young
I had a wound
that matched with what I wore.

When I got older
I had a scar
that wore me
beneath my clothes.

Older still
I lost a limb
and
learned
how to pray.


Peter Valentyne
January 17th, 2019


No comments: