Tuesday, August 9, 2022

 

Unembroidered

 

I get to die at the end.

That’s reason enough to

perform this play;

the play itself,

a crucible on which

I learn to change my life.

Who wouldn’t want

a play to die in?

 

I leave traces of myself

on everyday objects

in hopes the mystery

will eventually be solved.

Prints on a plate,

saliva on a rim,

residue on a bowl

of a spoon.

All roads lead to

a change in how

I will continue

to exist.

 

I never finish my plate

for that same reason

so that non-existent biographers

can ascertain what

touched my heart

through the soul

of my mouth.

 

I once buried a Smith Corona

in the desert only to

dream of words

like ants

pouring out of a hole

to devour me.

I must eat

myself in order

to stay alive.

No, in order

to stay awake.

 

I have always needed


something to lament;


a solitary longing


for a second


pair of eyes


so that I 


appear as


what I see.

 


But at this point


none of this


means anything


to anyone


but me.


Every walk I take


in the woods


I am still walking


with no edge


to exit from.

 


Thieves stole


an ancient copper relic


said to contain


the blood of Jesus,


then it turned up 


in a slum


coveted by


careless children.


I am that cup.

 


Being malformed keeps


my feelings in check.


All I need is to


worship this moment.


I am kind to everyone


I meet.


I am beneath everyone


and everything


therefore


all things flow


down toward me.


I keep so little.

 

My eyes take in your scent.


My mouth hears your voice.


My nose remembers 


everything I have


loved.

 

8/11/22

 



No comments: