Wednesday, February 17, 2021

 



    













Some Call It Sleep


Every night I fall asleep at the controls.

and that’s when I really go places.


Every night I’m kidnapped and taken

against my will to an undisclosed location.


Every night everything happens to me

when I can’t help but only do nothing.


Every night the paint flies off the canvas

leaving me to recollect it’s colors by heart.


Every night what happens at night stays

in the night like the negatives of lost photos. 


Every night I slip the bonds of my body

and head South of no North all alone.


Every night I take off my name

and leave my license on the nightstand.


Every night I find a moth in my shorts

beating its wings at the same rate as my heart.


Every night I close the book that is me

and read the history of what never happens.


Every night I toss and turn and in so doing

spark a flint beneath the kindling of my body.


Every night I pretend to die a good death

rehearsing by the light of fictional stars.


Every night I say a prayer but never say Amen

so that tomorrow will begin and end in devotion.



February 17, 2021


1 comment:

W. Nixon said...

Peter!

This poem is beautifully layered and says so much!

I love your title, “Some Call It Sleep”.

This intriguing title steers one to ponder...Perhaps sleep is something else? Could sleep be a continuum of life itself? What do others think sleep is?

When we “surrender” and not attempt to control anything, as is the case while sleeping, the resulting possibilities and adventures are limitless. One can’t help but wonder what might happen if we practiced this “letting go of the controls” when we are fully awake, in our day to day lives. Initially, when exploring this possibility, the individual might feel vulnerable, like treading into foreign territory. If, however, through practice, the outcome mirrors what is witnessed while sleeping, an astounding and life changing experience could emerge, potentially shedding new and brilliant light on this journey of life.

By allowing each day to begin and end as a devotional, the bottle, so to speak, is never corked, which would trap the flow of energy like a Genie in a bottle, but, rather, the energy is permitted to flow freely through and around the individual from one day to the next, giving birth to endless and astute possibilities.

Lastly, the pictures, images and colors are gorgeous! The five senses are in full splendor. Every single line is a profound story within itself...Wonderful!

Peter, Congratulations on another exquisite piece of Art.

BRAVO! 👏✍️