Sunday, January 3, 2021

 

Courtesy of Cocteau's Orpheus


Psalm for

a Rainy Afternoon 



My shaman, sheikh, healer, minister, 

on seeing something rolling downhill 

towards us, threw our train 

in the most graceful reverse 

so that though we braced for impact 

we never felt it.


Then my master, Jesus, archangel, 

questioned me as to how I understood 

the world and why I wasn't afraid to be 

up and out at 3:00 AM

observing his dangers.


Please stay with me, I love you,

I said admittedly from 

the vantage point

of a sea of purple impatiens,

blissfully unaware that

a wall-like tide of water 

was about to enter the Hudson

and certain to change 

the topography 

of every Cole Porter song 

I’d ever been asked to sing,

even as I was arranging 

to become my own 

search engine, 

the password of which

was always: 

quantum.


So this is how I’ve

come to accept

the pain that comes

with every little thing 

I do, 

especially

during those chores

of recompense and

comeuppance.


And now I’ve put

today aside

(as my horoscope advised)

for listening

for new 

revelations 

to break through,

as one might say...

like a kiss

that leaves 

it's own

beautiful bruise.



Peter Valentyne

January 3rd, 2021


1 comment:

W. Nixon said...

Peter, your new poem is deep and profound. It says so much to me within a multitude of “Layered Dimensions”....Divine Order, Divine Intervention And Divine Protection Are There By Our Side Even When We Are Unaware Of Their Need Or Spiritual Presence Which Is Of Great Comfort...Make The Effort To Live And Enjoy Each Moment To The Fullest And Take Nothing For Granted As Life’s Course Can Change Suddenly, Dramatically And Unexpected In Either Direction... Keep Expanding And Growing While Watching, Listening And Learning From Life’s Daily Gifts Of Rewards And Even Punishments, If, They Surface ...Take The Invaluable And Much Needed Time To Recharge, Refresh And Reflect On The Mind, Body, Soul And Spirit In Efforts To Become Self-Actualized And More In Tune With Self, Spirit And Universe As One.✍️👏