Sunday, July 19, 2020


The Carbuncle 

I haven’t told anybody but
I’ve had a carbuncle
ripening on the the back
of my head for weeks,
like a fetus poking
its finger through the skin
of a red balloon. 
I am that balloon
trying to pass a stone.

I guess I should be grateful
its not on my face for
the whole world to see.
I prefer my suffering
in silence,
hidden beneath my hair.
Besides, everyone would
sure to mistake it
for a wound,
when in fact
it is my art.

All my pain
has been coming
to a head.
At night
I use my bed pillow
as a compress
hoping for the Rorschach stain
to discharge
and leave its 
beautiful mark.

I feel
a ripening is coming
and I am 
running out of time.
My body strains to release
its mounting
sands
like grit to a pearl;
I am the hunchback
of my own private
Notre dame.

What will I do
if my sorrows
were to pass?
Who will or would I be?
My life is 
a sideways
hourglass,
clock without hands,
my heart steeped in prayer
inside a cathedral
of suspended animation.

Progress is now on foot
as I walk the desert sands
looking for something
tantamount to
a father
missing in action.
Every pearl begins
as just this sort of cyst,
pushing at the 4th wall
between night 
and the burgeoning
poem
of morning.

Today I woke up
weeping for the world.
What with this one’s death
and that one’s shame,
I put my art to use.


Peter Valentyne
July 19th, 2020

No comments: