Thursday, December 12, 2019


The Uninhabitability
of Yesterday's News

We’d be fools
to reduce
the stars to
poetic constraints,
and the moon
could do worse
than go on
highlighting 
our lives
from afar,
swooning
half hearted, 
chock-full of
unwarranted envy,
yet, yesterday
I came across
the meaning
of the Greek word
for metaphor,
simply put:
“to carry”,
and
because my mind
is a tongue
unable to leave  
a wound in
the mouth
alone,
my thoughts
probe the roof
of their cave
like a blind worm
impatient for 
flight.

Aren’t you
flummoxed by 
the self same
riddle?
 Finding
yourself
 feeling the unthinkable
as though you'd
previously
behaved a
perspective tourist
incapable of
summoning
your own
history’s
native tongue.

I’m sure of 
this:
we mustn't let go
of a single 
opportunity 
to love,
like the dog
I adored
who'd never
chosen to leave me
on his own,
practiced as he
was
in negotiating
my shadow.

I ask you:
If molecules 
cannot be destroyed,
only transformed,
how then are
any of us
different
from the 
snowmen
being
slowly undone 
by the sun?
The coal, 
the carrot,
the scarf;
mere
souvenirs of
temporary
selfhood.

Time
now appears
 a slippery slope
and I am
clinging again
to my sled,
swooshing
downhill toward
the origin
of all things,
heart beating
with imaginal wings
against 
the wood slats
of my first
and only
Fearless Flyer.

Who’d have thought 
growing old 
could have us
feeling like
children again,
tooth tethered to
a door knob,
forced to
improvise
our first act of
self preservation:
the stopping 
of time.
It would take
the rest of our lives
to master
anything  
so wistful.

Who could help
revisiting
that brazen act of
suspended imagination
even in the
here and now,
tethered to 
the past
by the thread
of a kite
cobbled out of
yesterday’s
uninhabitable 
news?


Peter Valentyne
December 12th, 2019

No comments: