Sunday, October 27, 2019



What's a Metaphor?

Did you know that life
is made more tenable
by the simple use of a proper metaphor?
 When in the throws of trying times,
unlike a mirror's more pedestrian rhymes
this simple act of magical thinking
could give your psyche a fresh new inkling.

By combining distance with reflection
metaphors can alter one's circumspection.

My own diary is
artless yet elegiac; 
a place for synonyms
to mingle with verbs.
Suffice it to say
swapping
 "like" for "as",
has brought closure
to so many of my words.

You see
this way there's
less a chasm between
the implicit and the implied,
revealing a surprising comparison
between two things
rarely found
side by side.

For instance I liken my emotions
 to what I see up in the sky,
dark clouds equal frustration,
red horizons make my heart sigh.

I am guilty of thinking
(dare I leave it at that?)
surely an argument
can be made for favoring
metaphorical over literal fact.

Take the fundamentalist
searching for the ark
at the bottom of the sea
or mistaking Moby Dick
for the whale that swiped Jonah
right out of his family tree!

I confess
I'm desperate
to find meaning
in the world at large,
though I'd rather not
reduce the stars
to poetic constraints,
well, maybe just
Pluto and Mars.

On the subject of the heavens
I offer this word
of consternation:
I have found that
that which goes
unexamined
does tend
towards constellation.

So taking these thoughts
to heart
I examine their meaning
with glee.
Case in point:  though I am
the black sheep of my clan,
I'm neither black
nor am I a sheep!

Metaphors bring
the unrelated together,
I think you can plainly see,
it's how one conjugates a royal rift
and I don't mean
with the royal "we".

Take for example
a well rounded snow man,
formed simple for the sake of fun.
His carrot, coal and scarf;
props of a sentence being
slowly undone by the sun.

Aren't we all made
of that same holy water
transmuted from
sea to sky?
What is a metaphor
if not a child's eye view
born in a snowman's eye.

Peter Valentyne
October 29th, 2019

No comments: