Sunday, July 21, 2019


1 New Message
Received
(The following began as a typically
mundane morning text which
like a runaway train of thought
jumped the tracks
and insisted on living
life on the lam
as an unlikely poem)

Good Morning _________!
Many dreams last night. 
Fears of ineptitude. 
Fears of discovery. 
Longing for acceptance. 
Faking normality, 
as if the night 
brought on
dark judgements 
of it's own.
This morning
my urge to write 
created a  
stubborn paralysis. 
I can’t force it.
That’s why 
this text is 
so full of
affectation.
Sitting on the sofa 
at 7:00 AM
struggling to wake, 
the big red 
abstract painting 
promptly fell 
off the wall
behind me. 
I was too startled 
to be scared. 
Had I been killed
by art 
my life would 
have been
forever punctuated 
by this humorous
final anecdote.
You know how
easily I bleed.

I cut up a peach 
on my cereal...
it was good, 
though these 
particular peaches 
lack pizazz. 
The dominating sun 
invading the window 
makes me feel 
like shrinking
from the politics
of harshest light. 
Debussy’s The Girl with the Flaxen Hair 
just dropped like a record 
on the jukebox radio
making the world 
seem lyrical. 

As this is not
a poem
there’s no pressure 
to clamor for significance. 
Yet, my secret channel
is wide open. 
If I have to do it here
then I’ll do it here. 
Say what comes. 
Let go of my need 
to be logical, 
desirous, 
constructive
in so 
impromptu a venue
and just live 
lovingly
beside everyone 
and everything. 
No judgements, 
no yearning, 
no insistence. 
A mercurial
minded tree 
unstuck from 
the mud.

Peter Valentyne
July 21, 2019

No comments: