Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Whereby the Poet Cross-Pollenates
a Poem with a Prayer

"The true thought seems to have no author." 
                      ~Clarice Lispector


Here is my
heartfelt hypothesis:
based on the fertile
fact I initiate
every poem as
a visible letter to 
an invisible God
by testifying to
the human experience
as an experiment
in marrying 
sun and moon,
night and day
through
cross fermentation
resulting in a rebirth
both inner and outer
of states and behaviors
to exist not at odds,
but in harmony
thereby emancipating
King & Queen
to reign
above and below
in illuminated
appropriation  
of botany’s
secret
science
of the
Materia Prima.

Therefore, I submit
for examination
the following poem
as a
cross-pollenated 
prayer.

Take note that
it asks
for nothing
by way of
illustrating
it’s anomalous 
malformation,
a flower’s wish 
to be beautiful,
stemming from
the unnecessary 
yet poignant
aberration
of it’s being.

In this somewhat
unnatural state
the poet 
(here represented by myself)
may be
considered
 a rogue bee
abdicating the
unconscious machinations
of the swarm,
secluded from the hive,
hovering pariah-like 
above a daffodil,
encoded to make honey
it’s subversive calling.
Hands in prayer
like folded wings,
a worker bee
with no need
to question 
my occupation
as 
the poem,
like honey,
is my 
purpose.

Allow for
pure conjecture:
can praying 
make nectar
 through petition?
And is honey 
a wound’s remedy,
both 
antibody and cure?

Consider the following
internal processes:
(here voiced by the poet)
God give me 
the sense
to not pray 
for what i want,
let me not 
ask for more,
always more.
I will be
a prayer
without wanting,
a question 
with no need
for an answer.

Does to pray
without supplication 
still qualify
as prayer?
Even if one asks 
only that
His will be done,
one asks
for something.

I hereby 
offer evidence
that prayers have
gradually,
 if imperceptibly,
evolved
into the granting
of wishes
as opposed to
affirmations,
in which case
the bible
may well be
referred to
as the history
of the
begging bowl.

If asking betrays 
a lack of faith
then what is 
a prayer for?
Here, the poet
digresses:
Let me be grateful 
for my suffering
as there are others 
who would be
content with pain  
as slight as mine.
Still I petition
to be grateful.
If I am thankful, 
why am I
praying to
make it so?

In light of
the experimental nature
of the afore-mentioned 
poem 
which begs the question 
what is a prayer for,
how is it
I could
have been so
pedestrian? 
God, please let me find happiness.
God, please let me lose weight.
God, please heal my friend and neighbor.
God, please don’t let me lose my hair.
God, please let me get that job.
God, please let me find love.
God, please let me recover quickly.
I offer:
Why would God do or not do
any of these things?

What kind of riddle 
am I constructing?
What if we are being 
sentenced by
the very construct 
of our prayers?
To want or wish 
for anything
reinforces and 
assumes its absence;
every prayer 
a declaration 
of depravation.

What of those 
who pray
not knowing 
to be careful 
what they wish for?
What about the 
prayed for outcome
that inadvertently
brings on 
devastation for another,
that brings unwanted 
responsibility,
that inadvertently 
sinks the ship
after praying 
for rain,
or praying 
for a 
precipitous snow 
to melt,
then finding 
the valley 
flooded?

And so I have 
decided to be
declarative and 
confessional
only.
No more prayers, 
only poetry;
poetry immune 
to the literal,
poetry that honors
the soul
in all it’s mystery,
poetry that asks 
for nothing,
lives without utility,
a poem 
none want or need
because it 
merely exists
for awe 
of a flower.

*See poems 
only written
to be read
in the morning
when the senses are 
more delicate,
sensitive, and pure.
A day of living 
in the modern world
dulls the senses,
judgements gather 
like clutter
and as the day 
goes on
we find 
we are living
in our mind’s
private
debris field.

If we live
under the
assumption 
we are lost, 
abandoned,
then every man 
for himself
finds evidence 
in those
around him.

Others are 
our mirror
and when we 
don’t like 
what we see
we’ll not like 
ourselves either
because we 
can’t sever 
the connection
with how we feel,
therefore our 
disgust 
with the other
shames us both.

A prayer 
needs imagery
like a poem, 
yet images
renounce our 
reductions
as our minds
cannot process
a single
carrot, cloud, or cat;
anything 
un-man-made.

That said,
I fear my heart
is dyslexic,
proceeding from a place 
of outcomes and
working backward 
toward
seeds of feeling,
like characters
in search of an author,
in need of a source
to pin it’s
 misery on
unaware that
the source
is always 
the Beloved, 
and the Beloved
is an
eco-system
of circulating love.

Peter Valentyne
June 26th, 2019

No comments: