Sunday, November 11, 2018


Arrival
(for Clementine)

I wait for you to appear;
you whose life I’ve
selfishly spared.
Your human mother lays dying
even as you lie prematurely buried,
shrouded in darkness
beneath my bed.

Not a sound, nor a glimpse
have I apprehended
as you bide your time
weighing your fear of trust.
Yes, it’s clear to me:
You must come first.

But what if you never come out?
What if this seed which sleeps
hidden beneath my sleep
refuses to take hold,
to sprout, and become
for us both
a new reason to live?

You’re having none of me
for now. But I know
how to wait.
I want to love you.
Won’t you give me that chance?
Now you are mythical;
appearing like a portent
wished for or not;
you are your own 
gentle or cruel genie.

How could you know that
losing all that you loved
has made you more like me?
You’re refuge in a life
that no longer exists
is pure poetry;
your smallness barely
adequate for so giant a will.


Peter Valentyne
March 2017

No comments: